|Lexington Diner in the ca. 1806 Warfield Building. Author's Collection.|
It historic location is directly across from the old courthouse in the Dr. Walter Warfield Building which was built around 1806.
Dr. Warfield was a noted surgeon from the Revolutionary War from Maryland who ultimately settled in the Bluegrass as a "highly esteemed and excellent citizen." As with any "esteemed and excellent citizen" of the day, Warfield amassed significant land holdings in the region.
From his sister-in-law, Elizabeth Christian Dickerson, Warfield purchased 1,000 acres in 1805. This land was situated in what is now both Fayette and Scott counties. Ms. Dickerson had inherited the land from her father (William Christian) in 1786; he had acquired the land (and 8,000 other acres) by grant from Virginia Governor Patrick Henry in 1779. After being sold, inherited, and divided, these acres have had a storied history with storied names in the equine industry. Today, however, much of Warfield's acreage is now owned by the Commonwealth of Kentucky as part of the Kentucky Horse Park.
|Warfield Building through the lens of Asa Chinn, ca. 1920-21. NRHP.|
The National Register listing also includes 148 West Short Street, a mid-19th century Greek Revival with gable roof and storefronts. Two story with 9 bays, a number of shops have called the building home for many, many years. The Dr. Walter Warfield Building has been and continues to be central to Lexington's center of commerce.
An earlier version of this post was published in April 2012 when Della's Diner occupied the spot.