|The Red Doors of St. Paul's Episcopal Church|
St. Paul's Episcopal Church in Newport is such a church. It's ivy-covered stone clock-tower next to the courthouse square makes for a beautiful church. The congregation began in 1845 and construction began on this church building in 1871. It is worth noting that the Episcopal Church in Kentucky did not split during the Civil War as did other denominations; this was a principal cause for St. Paul's continued growth. "By 1870...the political prejudices and antipathies engendered by that terrible catastrophe were largely removed; and Federalist and Confederates together knelt in brotherly love and good-will at the same altar." [*] Services were first held here in 1873, but the building was not completed until 1888. The project was over budget at a cost of $33,000 rather than the expected $19,452. The church, however, has weathered many storms: an 1880 earthquake, the flooding of the Ohio River in 1884 and 1937, as well as tornadoes in 1915 and 1986.
|St. Paul's Episcopal Church|
For a century and a quarter, a St. Paul's Episcopal Church has stood on this corner. Since 1871, the bell in the towering spire atop this native stone church has rung for services. Here worshipped Gen. James Taylor, War of 1812; Henry Stanbery, who defended President Andrew Johnson at his impeachment trial, 1868; Brent Spence, 37 yrs. in Congress, a lifetime member.The church offers many social services for its urban community and continues to hold weekly services.