The University of Kentucky acquired one of these old tobacco facilities in 2011 to house its School of Art and Visual Studies (SAVS) program. Beginning in the fall of 2015, students will move into their new facility on Bolivar Street. Previously, SAVS had been located in another tobacco facility - the Reynolds Building - that is located at the end of Scott Street. (Sadly, it is anticipated that the Reynolds Building will soon be demolished.)
|Sanborn Map of the Site, ca. 1890 and prior to construction of re-handling plant. University of Kentucky Libraries.|
In 1904, Ligget and Meyers also constructed extant tobacco warehouse that stands on the southwest corner of Bolivar and South Upper (this old warehouse is not attached to the rehandling facilities and is not part of SAVS). In 1916, a final addition to the complex was added parallel to and immediately behind the 1903 addition.
According to the property's application for inclusion on the National Register of Historic Places, the plant was built in an area that would become the city's central tobacco warehouse district. Near the railroad, the decision to locate here made Liggett and Meyer "the leader in establishing a major architectural, cultural, economic and social trend in Lexington's history, all centered on tobacco."
And now, UK's SAVS building will be a place where the University's art program can thrive. As the Newtown Pike extension expands through the area, SAVS will become a gateway to the University of Kentucky.
IF YOU GO
July 1, 2015
Gather at 5:30 p.m.
UK School of Arts and
236 Bolivar Street, Lexington
Free and open to the public.