|Southeast Greyhound Line Building on Loudon Ave. - Lexington, Ky.|
Photo: National Register Application.
"The taller central portion contains 2 garage doors and is framed by slightly-projecting brick pilasters that terminate with narrow limestone caps. Two units flank that central portion. Historically these were symmetrical: a three-bay unit with each bay indicated by a flush pilaster with narrow limestone cap, above which sits the parapet."
In 1914, the Greyhound bus lines began in Minnesota as a method of transporting large numbers of workers. In 1931, the Consolidated Coach Corporation which owned 101 West Loudon renamed itself Southeast Greyhound Lines. By 1950, Southeast Greyhound Lines merged into the larger Greyhound entity and the Loudon Ave. structure was closed as an office in 1960. It was acquired by the Transit Authority of Lexington (LexTran) in 1972.
The application describes the structure's improving neighborhood as follows:
Much of the recent development along the North Limestone corridor fills in where historic structures once stood, creating a lively new district which still retains much of its historic character. This includes turning the old Spalding’s Donuts building at 5th and Limestone into an arcade bar, and Urban Wildlife, a public art installation created at Luigart Studios, which was a former brewery. Across the street facing the opposite direction is a new company, Bullhorn Creative, and other retail shops, including an antique furniture store, a thrift store, an art gallery and a restaurant. The building is also near a railway, constructed in the late 19th century, which transports industrial and manufacturing goods throughout the state and country.The transformation of the NoLi neighborhood is nothing short of amazing. Hopefully, the old Southeast Greyhound Lines building will find a next chapter in its life and continue to contribute to the vitality of the city and the region.
Source: H-L (B. Fortune); National Register Application.