Only a historic marker remains of Main Street Christian Church

Historic Marker #19 - Lexington, Ky.
On Main Street in downtown Lexington, in front of the police station, stands a historic marker recalling the Main Street Christian Church which once stood on the site.

Historic Marker #19 reads:
Built on this site in 1842. The 12-day Campbell-Rice debate on Christian Baptism, etc., was held here Nov. 1843, Hon. Henry Clay presiding.
The grand church once located here became too small for the congregation which ultimately became Central Christian Church.

The only physical vestige remaining of the historic church is this marker on Main Street. 
Post a Comment
Related Posts with Thumbnails