No Destination: Church of the Ascension

Church of the Ascension in Frankfort
Frankfort's Church of the Ascension is the oldest congregation in the city. It has been instrumental in the growth of the city by sponsoring the first library, furnishing an orphanage from 1859 to 1939, and founding a free school for the poor.

The Episcopal Church is located on Washington Street in Frankfort's historic district.

Constructed about 1850 and financed by Farmer's Bank president John Hanna, the house of worship was enlarged in 1868 and both the parish house and chapel were erected in 1899. Hanna had traveled to Europe to see models of traditional church design before he funded the building of the Church of the Ascension.
Post a Comment
Related Posts with Thumbnails